Widgetized Section

Food giant Bunge re-brands its ‘Dalda’ Brand of refined edible oil

Dalda Old Logo
Dalda Old Logo

There was a time, when a jar of ‘Dalda’ vanaspati ghee was a part of almost every Indian household. Eventually though, some aggressive marketing campaigns from brands like ‘Sunflower’ diverted the Indian consumer into a much more health conscious state, causing ‘Dalda’ market shares to drop down heavily. But now the brand is about to get a complete makeover, with new packaging, new health proposition and brand new Logo.

Bunge India Pvt Ltd, recently re-launched its ‘Dalda’ brand of refined edible oil and has announced its plans to aggressively market its new range of products nationally. The campaigns are expected to start regionally, first in Kolkata followed by Delhi. Founded in 1818, Bunge, headquartered in NY, United States, is a leading agribusiness and food company with integrated operations that circle the globe, stretching from the farm field to the retail shelf.

Addressing a Press conference, Adhiraj Sarin, MD, Bunge India said that the company had decided to provide a new identity for the brand, ‘Dalda’, which was once synonymous to hydrogenated cooking mediums or ‘Vanaspati Ghee’ perceived to contain heavy fat contents. He quoted, ‘We are re-launching four variety of refined cooking oils under brand name Husband’s Choice (which of course is a sub-brand under ‘Dalda’), keeping in mind the needs of Indian consumers that have changed significantly in the last few years. Our oils are fortified with vitamins A, D and E, and also contains higher level of anti-oxidants’ (Notice how he talks about the contents of their new products? That’s how companies re-position themselves through press conferences.)

Well, we wish Dalda good luck with its re-branding processes and hope to keep our eye on this brand

new_dalda_Logo
The New Dalda Logo

History of the Dalda Brand

The Dalda name has Dutch roots. It was imported by a Dutch company, Dada & Co. In the early 1930’s when Hindustan Vanaspati Manufacturing Co (today’s Hindustan Lever Limited) wanted to start manufacturing Vanaspati locally, Dada & Co, insisted that the branded product should reflect their name. Hindustan Lever, in a bid to establish their ownership of the brand managed to prevail and introduced the ‘L’ for Lever into the name. The production and marketing of this new cooking medium was so successful that before long Dalda became a household name.

In 2003, Bunge Ltd, acquired Dalda from Hindustan Lever Limited and has been hadling its operations through its 100% subsidiary Bunge India Pvt Ltd.

7 Responses to Food giant Bunge re-brands its ‘Dalda’ Brand of refined edible oil

1. Ed Roach Reply

October 5, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Frankly I think the old brand logo was easier to read and what is that new icon? I think I see a mother and child but I’m guessing. I went on the web and they are using the older image, (at least on the recipe site). Confusing messages if they are using both logos. The only thing I would say about the new logo is that it looks less westernized, (if that was the intention or not).

2. Meheer Reply

October 5, 2009 at 11:11 pm

ED,
    You have always been an insistant fan of ‘Consistency’, and rightly so. Large companies often fail to deliver Consistency while branding and in the process do not even realise where they went wrong. They should have had the new logo placed on their website before or atleast immediately following the press conference.

This session of rebranding for their Brand ‘DALDA’ is mainly to get back into the market competing with other brands who grabbed the health conscious market. I believe it took them too long to realise how competitors beat them. Frankly speaking, I do not tend to agree with their current strategy and image building. This has only led them to slip of from one time Leaders (with some monopoly) to now Laggards.

Also something else that confused me was the newly introduced sub-brand under the Dalda brand, named ‘Husband’s Choice’. So we have a Mother and child in the logo and ‘Husband’s choice’ as a brand. What could that possibly mean??

3. deepak Reply

October 19, 2009 at 8:39 am

I dont get Dalda. It is very difficult to get dalda . No shopkeeper keeps Dalda. No mall keep Dalda. How and from where to get Dalda. Faridabad

• Meheer Thakare Reply

October 20, 2009 at 2:19 am

You should have dalda access soon I believe. They seem to be quite committed to the revamp campaign.

4. Asif Dada Reply

May 18, 2010 at 11:53 am

I am very pleased that Bunge is relaunching the Dalda product. It is very exciting to see the Brand which my great grandfather starting 80 years ago still used by households accross the globe. I wish Bunge all success in their endeavors to win back the market share.

5. anil kumar kulshrestha Reply

April 9, 2011 at 3:44 am

I am ex HUL employees served the company last 35yrs as TSO and from the last 10years worked for CSD channel. I recently came to know that DALDA listed in CSD . This brand is high image amongst consumer but due to low marketing strategy its width of distribution is very poor. The competitors are very aggresive and to rebuilt its market share the team of experienced and dedicated peoples needed. I have eastablished a firm in the name of A N ENTERPRISES to promote the sales of consumer goods in CSD channel. I do not know the e mail address of National head for sales to whom I contect for providing distribution net work in URC nationally . Provide me the details.

6. Vikas Porwal Reply

January 5, 2012 at 10:05 am

we are super stockist of Khajoor Dalda,please provide us the website because we are not getting proper schemes from the area manager and sales executive.
    My Email ID is vikas4porwal@gmail.com